Flight of the Magician

This project started off like most projects of mine… as a Challenge.

This project started off like most projects of mine… as a Challenge. My friend who goes by the name of Zeteyoc had picked up a plane that he had been bringing to the field and not flying. It was a picture of a gorgeous glider called the Sorcerer. A plane designed in 1980’s. All the videos of it flying struck me as a perfect bird for me. Then, after asking him how it flew, and him telling me it was too windy, as asked him if I just designed one from Foam Board for him to build and fly, would he at least fly that? He said sure… probably take a bit. Challenge Accepted!

I had plans by mid-week and had started building before the weekend. the build will be re-named the Magician

I started by cutting out the pieces. The challenge of this size of build (7 sheets.) and the long wing span of 90″ mean a build material challenge too. The biggest concern I had was how all the wing stresses will occur in the center A-frame of the wing section. And I was trying to figure a way to strengthen the foam, but not just “add a yardstick.” after considering some options I decided on using Landing Wire on the top and bottom of the doubled spar. As you can see in the photos below:

Above are many of the construction photos. the bottom few are of the fuselage and the tail section. highlighting the method I used to attach the rudder. If you want to build the DTFB one… I will post some free plans here shortly. The project was a test to see how far I can build with Foam Board and not make it out of plywood and balsa. this model does use 1/8″ landing wire, and 1/8″ diameter 36″ long skewers for campfires, as well as 7 sheets of DTFB and some craft sticks and BBQ skewers.

Time to Fly

This flight was so beautiful.. I thought it showed incredible promise. I needed to stiffen the tails booms, and try again. so with a little carbon fiber, and a horizontal stiffener torsion block under the tail, it was time to try again.

After searching for about 45 mins, until the sun went down, through a crop mean beans. (it stole my shoe) it was certain I would have to come back the next day and search for it.

so that was it… the magician just …. Disappeared